On the 22nd April, thousands of you will be hitting the streets of London for the 2018 London Marathon. What that essentially means is you still have 6 weeks left to be in your best shape to take on those 26.2miles.
As many of you may know, I have run this amazing race three times so I am speaking from experiencing when I say you must make time to recover! The rest and recovery is just as, if not more important as making sure
you clock up those miles.
I wrote a blog last year about how cryotherapy helped me but with this one I would like to add what other methods are also important and effective for your recovery.
Here are my top 3 tips:
Pre – marathon:
1. Follow a training plan / Running App. I personally use the asics app each time I do a race. Its simple to use and keeps me motivated which is key!
2. Keep a balanced diet & stick to what you know! At this
stage you don’t want to confuse your body with too many radical changes to may have an adverse effect.
3. Book in for a chill! Cryotherapy is scientifically proven to aid recovery time, so get yourself booked in within
24 hours of that long run. If you are still asking yourself WHY is Cryotherapy important, here are a few reasons why:
- Cryotherapy tricks the body into “fight or flight mode”, triggering the release of adrenaline, endorphins and anti-inflammatory proteins. The body is not actually in hypothermia—but the brain thinks that it is. Blood
rushes to the core, increasing metabolism and energy.
- Sports performance is enhanced by increased energy, the natural endorphin “high” and reduced perception of symptomatic pain.
- Injury to muscles, bone and tissue repair is enhanced by reduced inflammation from highly enriched, oxygenated blood, improved blood circulation and lymphatic detoxification.
- Recovery occurs more quickly and completely in the anti-inflammatory and enhanced blood flow environment. Delayed Onset Muscular Soreness (DOMS) is significantly reduced.
- Mental recovery is accelerated due to energy increase and release of endorphins.
To keep things simple and give you the best possible recovery, our marathon cryo package can be purchased HERE:-
At LondonCryo we also have Normatec Compression Therapy available. Many of our top athletes compliment their Cryo session with a NormaTec compression session for the following reasons:
- It accelerates athletic muscle & injury recovery by reducing lactic acid & improving blood circulation.
- Reduces swelling and inflammation (post-operatively too);
- Covers all limbs and lower back area with use of arm, leg and lower back/hip sleeves.
You can purchase your normatec recovery package HERE:-
Unfortunately we are all human and are at times prone to injury so we would suggest the following:
- Daily 3 minute WBC session for 6 sessions in 21 days
- Injury side effects usually subside within 3 to 7 treatments.
We also have our resident Physiotherapist here on Wednesday and Thursdays so get yourself booked in a session if you would like some guidance on your running technique by clicking HERE.
MARATHON INFO NIGHT
LondonCryo hosts: Cryo for Marathon Training and looking at Sports Injuries with founder Maria Ensabella and Physiotherapist Greg Savides on why its important to look after your body during the training season.
On the 10 April 2018 join us as we talk about how cryotherapy can help you best prepare for the marathon and then assist with your recovery. Greg will be speaking on:
- Injury prevention - how best to reduce the risk of injury during this stage fo marathon preparation
- Load recovery management - how best to recover following training to be ready for the next long run.
- What to do if injury strikes - hints, tips and advice to get you through
To register your interest email email@example.com